COLLAGEN- THE ANTIAGING KEY?
What is collagen?
Collagen is a protein found naturally throughout our body and one of the main building blocks for our teeth, skin, hair, tendons, muscles, bones.
It comes from the Greek name that means ‘glue-producing’ and it is really a wonder binder within our body.
A constant supply of collagen is needed to keep us good looking with nice hair, nails, good muscle mass, healthy joints….but the sad reality is that as we age our body is becoming less efficient at absorbing and using protein from the food; by the age of 45 collagen levels have fallen by 30% and the signs of aging are becoming visible. Therefore there has been an increasing interest over the years in collagen supplementation as a valuable supplement for our longevity and beauty.
Interesting facts about collagen:
- Collagen keeps our skin radiant and fresh as almost 75% of our skin is made of collagen.
- Collagen makes up 25% of the proteins in our body.
- Collagen keeps our hair, nails and teeth healthy and strong
- Collagen helps metabolise body fat and make lean body mass.
- Collagen can help to reduce soreness, damage and pain in our joints
- Collagen is important for our mobility
- Collagen strengthens blood vessels and improves their elasticity.
- Collagen supplement is not suitable for vegan and vegetarians as it is made from cow, chicken, pig or marine sources- usually extracted from the animal’s skin. So if you have food allergies be aware of this!!!
- Collagen supply is dependant of protein intake so eat plenty of high quality proteins such as chicken, lean meat, soy, fish, and organic low fat dairy products.
- Collagen likes the presence of vitamin C rich food such as green leafy vegetables, citrus fruit such as lemon, satsumas, grape, orange, and kiwi.
- Collagen supplement is sold as Hydrolysed collagen – typical dosage is 3000mg twice daily – usually 3 caplets in the morning and 3 caplets in the night- best taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before breakfast and just before bedtime.
- Collagen supplement is best taken with vitamin C – so choose supplements that contain at least 60mg of vitamin C or take a timed-release vitamin C up to 1000mg daily.
Collagen supplement is not suitable for pregnant and lactating women
You can buy collagen suplement here.